Sunday, March 18, 2012

No man is an island entire unto himself... John Donne...Grey's Anatomy Season 2 Episode 11

In a discussion with "groceries" a few days ago, I was informed that he believed that sick, or not sick ...I was incapable of being alone, and that my attachment to him was largely due to my desire NOT to be alone. I quickly.retorted that I have in fact been ALONE for over three years...and he replied...no....you are never alone...you had Fischer until recently...you cannot be alone.
You cannot even BEGIN to know how much that PISSED ME OFF. 
What I meant was that I had not been in a physical or emotional relationship with a man in three years...and I functioned quite well that way ...lived and enjoyed my life without the constraints of a relationship. I am very capable of being alone, and extremely self sufficient.
My next thought was that EVEN if I "couldn't" be alone....why the hell would I want to?  My situation is not ideal right now..but I am generally a fun, loving, generous and compassionate person with a God given gift that enables me to show people unconditional love and lift spirits in almost everyone I encounter. Why in Gods name would I not want to share those gifts ?
As humans we are social beings; we need relationships in order to survive. We need each other.
The statement was like a stab in the heart...and made me believe for days that the fact that I dont want to be alone was some horrible flaw in my character...like some needy little girl.attaching herself to a man for no other reason than my desire to no longer be alone. ...which couldn't be further from the truth, and anyone who truly knows me would argue that fact all the way to the supreme court .
I choose to.surround myself with friends and family and people who love me because of my nature as a nurturer. I thrive on giving others happiness and I have the ability to see something good in everyone. Charachter flaw??? I think not.
Every one needs some one...and God did not create man to be alone ....after all ....Did he not create Eve as Adam's partner ????
No man is an island entire unto himself.....
Soooooooo....if thats a flaw in my charachter....then God let me be flawed for the rest of my days and my.heart goes out to those who are content with being alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment